Even though it feels like summer still hasn’t arrived yet, I decided to try and make it feel like summer with these elderflower and gin cupcakes!
These delicious little sponges are flavoured with gin, topped with an elderflower buttercream and decorated with lime!
We are off to England tomorrow so I am looking forward to seeing family and friends and maybe getting some sunshine? Then again, maybe not!
Come back next week for a very chocolatey recipe!
A Recipe for Elderflower and Gin Cupcakes
60g butter, softened
115g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
200g butter, softened
175g icing sugar
40ml elderflower cordial
1 lime (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 170c (fan assisted)
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and beat again.
- Sieve the flower and baking powder in to the mix and fold together.
- Stir in the gin.
- Divide the mixture between 6 cupcakes cases in a cupcake tray.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until a knife inserted in to the centre of the cakes comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile make the buttercream, beat the butter until pale and fluffy.
- Then sieve the icing sugar in to two parts in to the butter and beat until well combined.
- Finally mix in the elderflower cordial. The strength of the cordial may vary from brand to brand. Add half of the cordial, mix together and taste, before adding the rest.
- Decorate with limes slices or lime zest if using.